This tutorial outlines the major steps of a website design or redesign project.
Step 1: Collect Information
• Initial meeting.
• Understand website needs.
Step 2: Project plan creation
• The Simple Web Design will outline the design process and determine what design considerations are beneficial to the website.
Step 3: Getting Everyone On The Same Page
• Review the proposed project plan and make any necessary adjustments.
• Complete project paperwork.
• Finalize the deliverable items and their deadlines.
• Establish who is working on what aspects of the project.
• Define an effective mode of communication throughout project.
Step 4: Progress
• Touch base and review progress.
• Ensure deliverables deadlines are met.
• Discuss and resolve concerns as they arise.
• Usability test initial concepts .
Step 5: Review Beta Site
• Walk through the beta site, making a list of required updates based on client feedback.
• Run the beta site through in-depth browser testing.
• Usability test beta site prior to adding content
Step 6: Add Content and Thoroughly Review
• Add content provided by client.
• Ensure updates are in line with client expectation.
Step 7: Final Usability Testing
• Usability test full site
• Make adjustments as necessary.
Step 8: Final Review
• Review final website after usability modifications made.
• Discuss any remaining concerns.
• Finalize day and time of launch.
• Discuss launch process.
• Discuss communication method during launch.
Step 9: Training
• How to maintain the website and keep it sparkling.
Step 10: Launch
• Backup old website.
• Update any scripts to point to live locations.
• Place site redesign maintenance page up.
• Move files into place.
• Go live.